Search this site
Junior College Football
Loyola Ends DePaul’s Streak
This story originally published on
Posted Dec 29, 2012
The Loyola Ramblers earned their first Red line Rivalry victory over DePaul since 1989 with a 69-61 win at Allstate Arena on Saturday afternoon.
Loyola (9-3) ended
’s (9-4) seven game winning streak led by 24 points from former Schaumburg star
“He hit some big shots down the stretch for them,” DePaul coach Oliver Purnell said of Payne’s performance. “He played a whale of a game. He was a key to most everything they did.”
While DePaul held Loyola star
to nine points, it was Payne who ruled the day for the Ramblers.
“I just feel like they just wanted it more,” said senior guard
. “They got the loose balls. They dove on the ground. They wanted the offensive rebounds more than we wanted to block out. They came more prepared and were hungry.”
The Blue Demons shot a paltry 55% from the free throw line which didn’t help things this afternoon.
“We just couldn’t make free throws today,” said a very dejected
. “It didn’t just come down to free throws. It was the defense too. We just didn’t come out ready to play today.”
The Blue Demons also gave up 33 points in the paint to the Ramblers.
“We weren’t mentally tough enough all night long to get ourselves in a situation to win the game,” said Purnell.
Three players reached double-figures for Loyola.
scored 12 points and freshman
came off the bench to add 10 for the Ramblers.
Young led the Blue Demons with 18 points while Clahar came off the bench to add 10 points in the losing effort.
The Blue Demons begin Big East conference play on Wednesday night at Allstate Arena against the
Team Records and Series Notes:
• DePaul drops to 9-4 overall on the season... Loyola’ s record improves to 9-3.
• The game was the 56th meeting between the two programs... DePaul leads the series by a 38-18 margin... today’s win for Loyola ends an 11-game winning streak in the series for the Blue Demons... Loyola’s last win over DePaul was a 70-69 decision on Jan. 21, 1989.
• DePaul is 105-37 all-time against the current lineup of Horizon League programs.
DePaul Team Notes:
• DePaul’s win streak ended at seven games... it is the longest streak since a nine-game run from Dec. 7, 1993-Jan. 8, 1994.
• DePaul’s streak of wins against Chicagoland opponents ended at nine in-a-row... DePaul head coach Oliver Purnell is 8-1 in his three seasons against local foes.
DePaul Individual Notes:
’s streak in double-figures ended at 26 straight games... he entered the game tied for third in nation with longest active streaks in double-figures... Melvin’s last game with less than 10 points was an eight-point game at
on Jan. 14, 2012.
• With seven points, Melvin moved into 32nd on DePaul’s all-time scoring list.
• Brandon Young played in his 75th career game... he recorded his 56th career game in doubled-figures.
DePaul vs. Loyola Game Preview
Dec 28, 2012
DePaul vs. Seton Hall Game Preview
Jan 1, 2013
DePaul Drops Nailbiter in Big East Opener
Jan 2, 2013
Get the 2014 Recruiting Yearbook and a full year of
Magazine with an Annual Total Access Pass.
Free Email Newsletter
Don't miss any news or features from CardinalAuthority.com. Subscribe to our newsletter to have our newest articles emailed to you on a daily or weekly basis.
Click here for a
list of all Team Newsletters
Add Topics to My HotList
Get free email alerts with news about your favorite topics. Click link to add to
Basketball > DePaul
View My HotList
Places to go:
Junior College Football
Things to do:
Things to buy:
Things to know:
Terms of Service
Advertise on MSN
About our ads
© 2013 Microsoft