Careers & Jobs
Real Estate & Rentals
Full MSN Index
UConn’s Second Half Spurt Defeats DePaul
This story originally published on
Posted Feb 23, 2013
The UConn Huskies took it to DePaul in the second half by shooting a remarkable 70.8% from the field in the half to hand the Blue Demons a 81-69 defeat at Allstate Arena on Saturday night.
(11-16, 2-12) led 37-34 at the half and did some things well defensively in the first half but didn’t get the job done in the second half.
“I thought that in the first half, we made it reasonably difficult on UConn,” said DePaul coach Oliver Purnell. “That needed to be our recipe for winning the game, but clearly it was different totally in the second half.”
(19-7, 9-5) guard
led all scorers with 28 points including 17 points in the second half.
“The second half we gave up wide open shots and they’re a really good perimeter shooting team,” Purnell said. “We’ve got to contest the shots that they take.”
East Aurora guard
and freshman guard
chipped in with 17 points apiece.
“We just got back to our principles in the second half,” said Connecticut coach
. “We got back to who we are.”
led the Demons with a double-double of 20 points and 10 rebounds.
“We wanted to slow down Napier and Boatright and get stops and be patient on offense,” said Melvin. “It definitely was working in the first half. We kind of let that go in the second half and their guards came up with big plays.”
contributed with 13 points for DePaul. Senior guard
scored 10 points and dished out seven assists.
Next up DePaul welcomes the
Cardinals to Allstate Arena on Wednesday night.
- Saturday is the 11th meeting between the two programs... Connecticut leads the series, 10-1, with a nine-game winning streak.
- The loss was the first this season when DePaul was leading at halftime... the Blue Demons are 8-1 when leading at halftime this season.
- Cleveland Melvin moved into 17th on DePaul's all-time scoring list... he recorded his seventh double-double of the season and 14th of his career.
- Brandon Young reached double-figures for the 25th time this season.
- Worrel Clahar reached double-figures for the ninth time this season and the fourth time in the last six games.
Sweet Home Chicago
Feb 22, 2013
DePaul vs. Connecticut Game Preview
Feb 22, 2013
Missed layups doom DePaul vs. Georgetown
Feb 20, 2013
Get the 2014 Recruiting Yearbook and a full year of
Magazine with an Annual Total Access Pass.
Free Email Newsletter
Don't miss any news or features from CardinalAuthority.com. Subscribe to our newsletter to have our newest articles emailed to you on a daily or weekly basis.
Click here for a
list of all Team Newsletters
Add Topics to My HotList
Get free email alerts with news about your favorite topics. Click link to add to
Basketball > DePaul
View My HotList
Copyright © 2014 Scout.com.
All rights reserved.
Terms of Service
Junior College Football
Advertise on MSN
About our ads
© 2014 Microsoft