University of Louisville basketball coach Rick Pitino has three commitments already in the Class of 2014 with Quentin Snider, Shaqquan Aaron and JaQuan Lyle.
Now, the staff is focused on big men.
Louisville looks to add a post player and a power forward and will be scouring the country, looking at top prospects this week.
Here are five things to watch for:
1. Cardinal babysitting service: Even though Snider, Lyle and Aaron are committed the staff must continue to watch those guys and make sure they stay firm. All three are solid but as a staff – any staff – you have to sit on your guys and make sure no one else is sniffing around. Snider will play with his Louisville Magic team this week in Indianapolis at the adidas Invitational and word Tuesday night that Lyle will join the Magic for the week. Shaqquan Aaron is at the Reebok Breakout Camp that begins tonight in Philadelphia.
2. Who's up first? U of L coach Rick Pitino has typically used the first night – or day - of the July evaluation period to check out the prospect that at that time appeared to be his main target. Last year, Pitino watched Anton Gill (now a U of L freshman) first and then Quentin Snider and D'Angelo Russell. Two years ago, it was top targets Quincy Miller and Deuce Bello. So, who will it be this year? Among the top targets are Trey Lyles, Myles Turner, Cliff Alexander, Elbert Robinson, Leron Black and Devin Robinson. It will for sure be one of those guys.
3. One post needs to step up: The Cardinals are in on a lot more power forward-type players but in all honesty there are just more better ones out there. Not a ton of centers that are big-time on the board. Myles Turner will be at Reebok and has turned into one of the best players in the country, while Alexander is a top five player and has the Cards' in the top 10. Elbert Robinson and Goodluck Okonoboh are the other two post players. All four will get a ton of attention this weekend and it's basically an audition. Any one who doesn't play up to speed, well the others will get more attention next week.
4. Power forward options: It appears the Cardinals are in good with several top power forward players, including Trey Lyles a top five player. He's the main target, along with Virginia's Devin Robinson, and they'll get a ton of attention. Will there be new additions to the list? I believe so. Angel Delgado is a newer name and Kelly Oubre and Zylan Cheatham are still on the board. I would imagine it won't take long – in the first 24 hours – for a new name to surface.
5. A first look at the future: The Cardinals have already offered a bunch of 2015 stars and even several '16 standouts. The future top targets will come in focus as Pitino and the staff will be filling in time watching the ‘14s to also check out the youngsters. Cheick Diallo, Quentin Goodin, Alex Owens, Malik Newman, Khalea Turner and Thon Maker can expect some attention. Won't be long the '14 class will be filled up and the focus will shift to '15.
Cardinal Authority will keep you posted on all the activities of each day. Please check back on the premium boards.